Stuffed Squash with Hemp Seeds
Better nutrition means enjoying the foods you want, in better balance (and obviously deliciously.) That’s exactly what happens when you pair squash, one of my favorite winter vegetables, and stuff it with loads of flavorful vegetables and hemp seeds – an exceptionally rich omega-3 and 6 ingredient! Interested in more ways to use hemp seeds for better nutrient balance with better flavor? Check out the Better Hemp Menu.
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 ½ Tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ small onion chopped
- 2 parsnips peeled & diced
- 2 carrots peeled & diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1/8 tsp. curry powder
- 1 egg beaten [Can use a vegan egg replacement] 3-4 Tbsp. coconut milk
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- you can swap out hemp seeds & add 1 serving meat, fish or eggs per serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Cut squash in half-length wise. Remove seeds, discard or save for roasting later.Rub each half of the squash with coconut oil and season with salt & pepper.Place each squash half face down on cookie sheet and bake while sautéing vegetables ~10 minutes.
- In a medium sized skillet heat ½ Tbsp. coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion, parsnip, carrot, celery and sweet potato and sauté for ~5 minutes. Add kale until wilted, ~2-3 minutes. Add curry powder, salt & pepper to taste. Remove veggie mixture and place in bowl, set aside until cooled ~5 minutes.
- Once cooled, add beaten egg and coconut milk to mixture and combine.
- Remove squash from oven and turn each side over and fill with sautéed veggies (any left over veggies can be cooked in a ramekin or oven safe dish).
- Cook stuffed squash for ~20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top each side with ¼ cup hemp seeds and serve hot.