Love Nutella, Love this Better Chocolate Nutrition Spread
Thank you Kristine Duncan MS RDN CDE of VegGirlRd.com for creating this better nutrition upgrade! This one is a better Mediterranean Diet choice too. Grab The Better Mediterranean Menu for more delicious inspiration.
- 2 cups shelled and skinned hazelnuts see notes below
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces dark chocolate 66% cacao chips, discs or drops (about ⅓ cup)
- 7 tablespoons hazelnut milk
- ¼ cup good quality cocoa powder I like Dagoba or TCHO
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder or granules
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Roast hazelnuts for 9-11 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice during roasting, or until fragrant.
- Once cool, whiz nuts in the food processor, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides. (For me this took about 7 minutes. Mine never got quite to the nut butter stage, but rather tiny pulverized crumbs of nuts.)
- Put olive oil and chocolate in a small bowl and microwave 15 seconds at a time until melted, stirring in between, for about a minute altogether. Add this to hazelnuts and pulse a couple of times.
- Add remaining ingredients (hazelnut milk through salt) and pulse until incorporated and spreadable.
- Spread and scoop to your heart's delight. Store in the refrigerator.
Notes: I followed Charlotte Ryan's instructions for skinning the hazelnuts. You can watch the charming video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXKeK0yT4_I If you have a favorite dark chocolate bar on hand, just coarsely chop it and use as a replacement for the chocolate chips.