Zucchini Hemp Lasagna
Hemp in lasagna may sound crazy, but after one bite you’ll be a believer. And you’ll be one bite closer to getting in your daily omegas, fiber, and iron needs. Once you’re convinced, check out the Better Hemp Menu for even more ways to get hemp (and all of its amazing benefits) in your daily meals.
- 5 medium zucchini ends trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 680 g jar tomato sauce make sure you find one without sugar if you want it to be sugar-free
- 170 g can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 227 g packs of Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds
- 1/2 cup Hemp Hearts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. First, toss the zucchini slices together with the coarse salt in a large bowl. Then, place the zucchini in a large strainer and set it on top of a bowl so the zucchini can sit for 30 minutes and release its excess water. Next, add the tomato sauce and tomato paste to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and then turn the heat down slightly and simmer uncovered until thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the tomato sauce is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Turn off heat and cool slightly.
- Next, add the onion/garlic mixture to a food processor along with 1/2 a pack of Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds, eggs, worcestershire sauce, black pepper and half of the Hemp Hearts and process until well combined. Add the rosemary and pulse a couple times to combine.
- Once the zucchini has drained for 30 minutes, give it a quick rinse under cold water to remove any surface salt, and then pat each slice dry with a paper towel, blotting out as much water as possible.
- To layer the lasagna, spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish. Then, lay out half of the zucchini slices, spread on 1/2 of the creamy onion mixture, top with 1/2 of the remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle on 1/2 of the remaining Hemp Hearts and Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds.
- Repeat the previous layer once – top with the remaining 1/2 of the zucchini slices, spread on the remaining 1/2 of the creamy onion mixture, top with the remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle on the remaining Hemp Hearts and Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake until warm throughout, about 40 minutes; to crisp the cheese on top a bit, remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking. Let the lasagna stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Courtesy of Manitoba Harvest