Zucchini Hemp Lasagna
Hemp in lasagna may sound crazy, but after one bite you’ll be a believer. And you’ll be one bite closer to getting in your daily omegas, fiber, and iron needs. Are you a practitioner? Check out our all-in-one system to grow your business.
- 5 medium zucchini ends trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 680 g jar tomato sauce make sure you find one without sugar if you want it to be sugar-free
- 170 g can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 227 g packs of Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds
- 1/2 cup Hemp Hearts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. First, toss the zucchini slices together with the coarse salt in a large bowl. Then, place the zucchini in a large strainer and set it on top of a bowl so the zucchini can sit for 30 minutes and release its excess water. Next, add the tomato sauce and tomato paste to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and then turn the heat down slightly and simmer uncovered until thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the tomato sauce is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Turn off heat and cool slightly.
- Next, add the onion/garlic mixture to a food processor along with 1/2 a pack of Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds, eggs, worcestershire sauce, black pepper and half of the Hemp Hearts and process until well combined. Add the rosemary and pulse a couple times to combine.
- Once the zucchini has drained for 30 minutes, give it a quick rinse under cold water to remove any surface salt, and then pat each slice dry with a paper towel, blotting out as much water as possible.
- To layer the lasagna, spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish. Then, lay out half of the zucchini slices, spread on 1/2 of the creamy onion mixture, top with 1/2 of the remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle on 1/2 of the remaining Hemp Hearts and Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds.
- Repeat the previous layer once – top with the remaining 1/2 of the zucchini slices, spread on the remaining 1/2 of the creamy onion mixture, top with the remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle on the remaining Hemp Hearts and Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake until warm throughout, about 40 minutes; to crisp the cheese on top a bit, remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking. Let the lasagna stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Courtesy of Manitoba Harvest