Better Smoky Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potato
Thank you to Jamie Vespa MS, RD of DishingOutHealth.com for this super satisfying better nutrition pit stop. Lentils are an awesome plant protein source! Grab the Better Nutrition Protein Evaluation to see if you are giving your body enough better quality protein more often.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Optional toppings: fresh cilantro leaves Greek yogurt (or coconut milk yogurt if making vegan), and sliced avocado
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Poke each sweet potato a few times with the prongs of a fork. Wrap each potato in foil. Place on center oven rack and bake for 60 to 80 minutes, until fork tender.
- While potatoes bake, heat oil in a large skillet with a fitted lid over medium heat. Add shallot; cook 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, until aromatic. Add tomato paste and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute, stirring often. Stir in smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and lentils; cook 1 minute, stirring to coat lentils. Add broth and water, bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 20 to 22 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender and have absorbed most of the liquid. Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Slice sweet potatoes down the center, lengthwise. Fill evenly with lentil mixture. Garnish with fresh cilantro, yogurt, and avocado, if desired.