Better Nachos You Betcha
Thanks Ginger Hultin RD of ChampagneNutrition.com for this game day or any day better nutrition better be plant-based winner. It's easier to eat more plants when they are delicious! Grab the better nutrition plant-based guide to learn how to avoid the biggest mistakes for better plant-based nutrition.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 15-oz can unsalted pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 Tablespoons fresh lime juice divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 16-oz bag tortilla chips
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded about 1/2 cup, or vegan
- 1 cup green salsa
- 1 cup red salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 whole ripe avocado sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat oil in a saucepan then add garlic and cook until fragrant and slightly browned. Add beans, 2 Tablespoons of lime juice, salt, chili powder, and cumin. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes then set aside.
- Line a large baking pan with parchment paper. Spread chips evenly across the entire pan in a thin layer.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Spoon bean mixture evenly over tortilla wedges on baking sheet. If you want to make separate sections, feel free to spread it just over 1/2 or alternate sections of chips. Sprinkle cheese over the top of all chips.
- Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Spoon pico de gallo and green salsa alternately in sections over melted cheese. Place avocado slices evenly across nachos. Sprinkle the entire pan with cilantro and serve immediately.
Recipe Notes: Recipe adapted from Jamie Vespa in Cooking Light.