Tempeh & Kale Salad with Cilantro Tahini Dressing
Tempt yourself to enjoy more plants with this nutrient-balanced, rainbow salad. Better plant-based nutrition better be delicious, and Haile Thomas (the creator of this recipe) certainly made sure of that with this zesty dressing! Interested in more ways to incorporate plants into your diet? Get the Better Plant-Based Nutrition Guide now!
- 2 large bunches kale
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 blocks tempeh
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Cilantro Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 7 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons lime juice
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup tahini
- optional: 1/2 tablespoon diced jalapeño
- + 1 tablespoon freshly grated garlic
- 4 medium sized sweet corns kernels removed
- 1-2 cups grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pre-cooked and chilled black beans
- In a large bowl, massage lemon juice and olive oil into rinsed, de-stemmed, and
- roughly chopped kale for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Next, work on tempeh. Crumble tempeh blocks into a bowl and incorporate all
- seasonings except for olive oil. Mix until coated.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat, & add coated
- tempeh. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until golden and slightly crispy. Remove from heat
- and set aside.
- For dressing, add all ingredients into a high-powered blender and process until
- smooth. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Finally, prep your toppings. Mix together the corn, grape tomatoes, and red
- onions. Dice avocado if using.
- To serve, place bed of kale on the bottom of your bowl/plate and top with beans,
- corn mixture, tempeh crumbles, dressing, & optional topping of avocado! Enjoy!
Courtesy of Haile Thomas