Pumpkin Spice Latte
Better nutrition is delicious sip after sip with this PSL winner. Get in the benefits of spices like ginger which help promote a healthy inflammatory response and cinnamon which help you get and keep better blood sugar levels. Budget for the added sugar from yummy maple syrup or make yours stronger and skip the syrup. Want more delicious ways to get better nutrition from plants? Get the Better Plant-Based Nutrition Guide now!
- 2 cups of 2% milk or homemade Almond Milk*
- 3 T of fresh Pumpkin Puree*
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 1 ” ginger knob cut in half
- 2 whole cloves
- ¼ tsp of fresh nutmeg
- 2 shots of espresso or strong coffee
- Add milk (your choice 2% or almond), homemade pumpkin puree, maple syrup, cinnamon stick, ginger, ½ vanilla bean, cloves + nutmeg to sauce pan. Bring to a simmer. DO NOT BOIL. Allow the milk and other ingredients to simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Remove from heat and strain into another sauce pan. Discard solids. Bring milk back up to a simmer. Again do not boil or the milk will burn. Now with a balloon whisk, froth the milk on the stove. It usually takes me about 1-2 minutes of whisking to triple the volume of milk. It should triple in volume. Remove from heat.
- Make your espresso shot.
- Add your espresso to your favorite mug. Top with your frothed spiced pumpkin deliciousness. Spoon the froth carefully into your mug and then top with a pinch of fresh nutmeg. Or if you would like to indulge add a dollop of whip cream. Makes 2 cups, Enjoy!
Created by Fell Stone Manor executive chef, Becky Geisel *Check out the better recipes for Homemade Almond Milk and Homemade Pumpkin Puree*