Hemp Pesto Panini Bites
Pesto can be a delicious way to dress up any dish, but with the addition of hemp hearts this version is a flavorful powerhouse. Hemp hearts are high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids as well as manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, dietary fiber, quality protein, and many more essential nutrients. After you’ve tried these yummy bites, you’ll be just as in love with hemp as I am. Check out my Better Hemp Menu for additional recipe ideas.
- 8 slices eureka!® Seeds The Day® Organic Bread
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 1 small garlic clove roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup baby spinach
- Using a broiler or open flame on stovetop, blacken red peppers, 1-2 minutes per side or until skin is black and separated from flesh.
- Place in a bowl and cover with tin foil. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine basil, hemp, cashews, garlic, lemon zest and juice. Pulse for a few seconds to roughly combine.
- With motor running, slowly pour in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Process until mixture is smooth, about 10-15 seconds.
- Once peppers have cooled to touch, peel skin, trim ends, halve and remove seeds.
- Begin panini assembly. Heat panini press or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of pesto on each piece of bread.
- Layer 2 pieces of red pepper and about 2 tablespoons baby spinach a top 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Place sandwich in press or in cast iron skillet with a splash of olive oil and top with another skillet or pan weighted with two cans of beans.
- Press until sandwich is lightly toasted and warmed through, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Cut into triangles and serve.
Courtesy of Eureka Organic